Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Isaiah 43:5

"Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west." Praise God who consistently gives us the desires of our hearts in ways we cannot even begin to imagine. Jack Kolya McGill is officially ours forever. We finally got to the courtroom about 12:30 PM Moscow time. Vonda said that once again her expectations were completely wrong. The courtroom was a small room with some tables in it. The Judge sat at the head table. We could see her blue jeans under her robe. (not that I was looking, it was obvious). Our interpreter sat between us. We stood whenever we addressed the judge. She basically went over our paperwork and asked a few questions. Evidently I almost blew it when she asked about our independent medical exam. I said that our Dr. Said he was a healthy, bright eyed, happy boy. Our translator chose not to translate that (I don't know what she said I said). If she had translated that, the judge would not have waived our 10 day waiting period. They need a medical reason to waive that. The judge has a son named Kolya. Well anyway, the entire court process took about 20 minutes, and we received a positive ruling and the 10 days waived. We did hear that after the hearing, the judge asked the regional inspector why such a beautiful baby was being placed for international adoption. After court, we had to wait about 1 1/2 hours for the adoption decree. Our translator left us at an Uzbekh restaurant where we had kebobs and dessert. No one there spoke English, so we did a lot of pointing and speaking English louder (that always helps folks understand). After we got the court decree, we had to go to the Moscow Vital statistics to get an Adoption certificate. They of course close for lunch from 2-3 so we had to wait on that. After getting the certificate, we had to go the the Lyubertsy Vital statistics to get an amended birth certificate. We finally got that and got to the orphanage about 5:00. We deposited our gifts with the charge nurse, and Jack's caregiver brought him to us. She did not know that he was going to leave today. She started to cry and kissed him goodbye. It was so touching and so unexpected. She basically ran out of the room because she was so upset. I'm so glad someone was there to love him during his months at the orphanage. The drive back from the orphanage was the worst one we've had. The normal 1 hour drive took over 2 hours. Jack was great, just looking around, playing with Allie. There's nothing like driving with your two kids in a huge city with insane drivers with them not even being seatbelted much less in car seats. Back at the hotel we let Jack loose in the room. It's like he's always known us. He played with Allie and some bubbles and just enjoyed seeing all the new things he's experiencing. Vonda has been trying to force feed him one of everything we have bought and he's having none of it. He gags when you put something in his mouth like Michael Pitts did with cottage cheese. I told her that her need to feed him is stronger than his need to eat right now and to lay off. We're hoping we'll find something he'll eat in the morning when he wakes up. Right now, it's 10:55. Allies coloring on the floor and Jack has just gone down for the night. We being the horrible parents we are have no experience with putting a child in the bed and them just going to sleep. He's going to be a role model for Allie. I know this is long, but it has been an unbelievable day. We are blessed beyond comprehension. Nan, I had to cry when I read your comment to Vonda. How great is God's love for his children that he pursues us so strongly. Love you all and will see whoever wants to come on Saturday at 11:00pm. Steve, Vonda, Allie and Jack

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have turned this computer on about 20 times today. My contentment was about gone. You alllook great even on a blog. God is so good. I know that we do not deserve all of this happiness but I am surely thankful for it. I must do some school work now because I have spent my day searching the blog. Love, Janice

Anonymous said...

Nan and I knew that yall were probably somewhere getting dressed up trying to find the Tim Jones of Moscow. Great family picture! Thanks for finally blogging so some of us can get back to work. See ya Saturday night. Love ya all, Jenn

Anonymous said...

Steve, Vonda & Allie -

Congratulations!!!! I am so happy this day has finally come for your family! He is so precious and we all can not wait to see him! Safe journey home!

Diane Cole

Anonymous said...

Hey ya'll,
I am soooooooooo excited and happy for all of you! You look so happy and content in the picture. Steve, you look so excited that your head might explode! I can not wait til you get home so I can meet my nephew. That is quite the lovely family portrait, and an amazing coincidence how all of your outfits just seemed to coordinate ! :) Is it cold there, because you are sporting the cold weather garb, anyway, you all look like the wonderful happy family.
Allie Grace, are you still bouncing off the walls? Sue and Papa said you were VERY hyper on the phone when they talked to you.Have you seen any punchbugs in Russia? You will have to teach Jack that game. I am so proud of you for being so brave through all of this, and now you are a big sister! I know that Jack will look up to you, and love you so much, just like I do with your mommy. I love you sweet girl, and can't wait to see you on Saturday. Tell Jack how much Aunt Kia loves him, and can't wait to see him.
I love you all very much, and am so thrilled that this journey that you have waited so long for, is almost over, or really it is just getting started. See you Saturday,
Love, Kia

Anonymous said...

Well I have been keeping up with you daily; but, it has taken me this long to figure out how to "comment". I am overcome with emotion!! You look beyond happy. I could not be more thrilled for you. The pictures are perfect. I feel as though we are all there with you. Safe travels home and enjoy the rest of your time in Russia with your children. Don't forget one moment of this God adventure.

Love, Marilyn Wendling

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful job of coordination. Only Vonda could pull this off.

Clarissa said...

Weeping. So happy for you. You just belong together, and these pictures prove it. Praying for your safe return. Looking forward to meeting your son.

Anonymous said...

woo hoo :) God is good. What a beautiful family. Dale, Eve, Seth and boys

Anonymous said...

Daer.Allie and Stuve and Vouda. I hope yall are haveing a good time in Russia. I will say I love you in Russian talk. Ya vas liubliu that is Russian talk. I love you AIIIE. i HOPE Allie is haveing fun in Russia. Have you played with Jack. ALLIE I shode my class hal to blog. Have you when on a poney ride. Yes or No.

Love Abbey Pitts.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Steve and Vonda and Allie-- all I can say is wow, wow, wow. I just can't believe it has really happened! You all look SO happy in the last set of pictures. Vonda, you look the way you must have looked the day you had Allie. God bless all of you on the way home. He has certainly had his hand in all of this. We love you! Matt and Mary Hearn

Anonymous said...

Steve, Vonda and kids,
What an awesome account. I praise God for this day! You all do look so happy. I think my favorite picture is the one of the kids in bed together. I love allie looking at her new brother. Best decision to take her with you (although I'm not entertaining her at midnight like you guys seem to be). I know your ready to bring Jack home to Nashville and we can't wait to meet him. Love to you four. Maria

Anonymous said...

ok, i spoke of my computer saavy and then it would not let me blog so I am at Kristi's...what wonderful pictures -what a wonderful family-what wonderful smiles-Allie I am not at school today so I am not sure if Mrs.Kuhn's can figure out how to blog you as a class or not--we will see--I know they miss you and they all love the pictures -they just ooh and aww as we scroll down the screen..Oh what a glorious day! We can never thank you enough for sharing it with us.Good luck with the menu today--be safe and God Bless.Nan

Anonymous said...

one more thing--Allie do you always wear a hair bow to bed? That might have been the 10lb. luggage overage problem--Nan

Anonymous said...

To the newly-expanded McGill family: I have finally remembered the correct website name to see the infamous Jack. Jennifer has told me several times and she talks about him constantly, even before he was here. Hunter and Tayler have viewed their newest cousin and always love to see another little boy in the mix! We are all partial in this family. Vonda, now you are in my territory- I don't see many tea parties! I cried when I saw your photos and read your words, not just because you four make such a beautiful family, but because of the wonderful, selfless choice you made in bringing this baby to a caring and loving home. I'm sure that Jack will bring more joy and happiness than you could have ever imagined. You will both find that watching your children interact together is one of God's sweetest gifts. Happy 1 month of being a family! We look forward to meeting Mr. Jack Kolya and celebrating your gorgeous baby's 1st birthday! I'm sure you've already been told this; he resembles Allie... another sign that you have carried out God's plan. I sincerely hope for the cousins to visit each other more, especially now that there are trucks around your house! Allen & Jennifer Griggs just adopted their 2nd daughter and my hairdresser is awaiting their return to Russia to adopt their 2nd daughter. They have already visited with her- she is in 1st grade. Their 1st daughter, Olya, is doing great and is being home-schooled. I have a new appreciation for the choice to adopt... whether the parents cannot have babies of their own or if they are making their decision because of a desire driven by the Lord to give a child a chance to be part of a nurturing family. Love, the Eastlands (Lisa,Bubba,Hunter,Tayler,Chelsea,Reese Cup,Hershey, and Tiger) We've added to our family, too!
P.S.- Vonda, I share your obsession with color coordination of clothing- especially for the camera!
We are so happy for ya'll Steve,Vonda,Allie,& Baby Jack