Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Vonda's World

OK guys you know this is my least favorite task in the world. I don't like to read and I like writing even less, and now this is third time to start because we keep losing our connection. I am just going to share a few of my observations on fashion and then respond to some of your questions. The adoption agency told us to dress very conservatively over here so that we would not stand out. Well I stand out anyway because I am wearing clothes. The women here ( unless you are a "babushka", Russian grandmother) wear as little clothes as possible. I don't think they own underwear. They have got the tightest, lowest riding pant and jeans that I have ever seen and also the shortest skirts. And to top it all off they don't seem to ever leave the house without at least a three inch heel. These are not girls that are just out on the town, they are running up and down huge flights of subway stairs and across very busy streets. It makes me think of Lisa Owings' Czech Republic weather girl story. And, Marilyn you think I wear pointy shoes, you have never seen pointy like this. Both men and women wear the pointiest shoes. They have to be so long to accommodate their foot that they start curling up on the ends. Some I've seen I don't think they would let you get on an airplane with. I'm so glad everyone is getting to see our Jack. We had another good day with him today. Can you believe in a city this size it would be so hard to find a baby bottle. I can't stand for him to drink out of that coffee cup. We WILL get one tomorrow on our way. The sleepers I brought with me for Jack are 6-9 months. (Yes Kayla I put the green outfit on him as soon as we got him to ourselves) The clothes he had on were clean, but that's about all I can say. You can get a little bit of and idea from that bonnet he was wearing in the pictures from today. Allie was horrified that he was wearing flowers, then I told her when we got there he was wearing pink. She will have none of that when we get home. But everyone be prepared for smocking and knee socks. Anyway back to his size, the 6-9 months seem to fit him really well, but they were already a little short in the stride. He is a very long boy! I think he is in the 75% in length. Marilyn, the bracelet I am wearing in the now infamous bath tub shot (which by the way I can't believe you even saw it)is my Allie bracelet. I had to have her with me every moment. However Steve did buy me a beautiful amber bracelet today, along with a matching ring and earrings. He bought them today because of our anniversary, but we will be giving them to Jack to give to his wife someday. We wanted him to have something to give her that was from Russia. I am sure I will make some sort of bracelet to remember this trip, but I am having trouble finding any charms. I'm sure Melanie can help me find some when we get home, but it would be nice to have some from here. I have already bought trucks and cars and bulldozers for my Jack bracelet. Allie made a Jack bracelet for herself the day before we left, and wore it all day. Kristi, his eyes are a mystery. Even close up it's hard to tell. They are kind-of gray and light brown in the center. One more thing, could Clarissa or someone at OtterCreek forward the attached picture or Blog to Brandon? Ask him if he'd like me to pick up these shoes for him on our way out on Saturday... Thanks so much for your comments. It's kept us in touch with home this week. Love Vonda

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did a great job on your first blog-everyone's been
waiting to hear from you. You are cracking us up with the pointy shoes info. By the way, can you spare the child at age four of the smocking and knee socks-for his sake and ours.
love ya!
kj and dj

Clarissa said...

Oh, I love the shoes. I'll pass it on to Brandon. Bless Jack's heart, it's a good thing he's going to have you and Allie to dress him right. But I'm with Kristi -- when he turns four it's time for Steve's fashion sensibilities to come into play. We can't have the other little boys making fun. But if you must, well, Kim Chaudoin has put Judson in some of that stuff even at age 5, I think (isn't he five?) -- she could be your lone ally.

Anonymous said...

Vonda, I just finished writing you a great narrative and then the computer cut off before I could click publish. And now, tell Steve for me, I must go and listen to John Edwards's speech. I don't know whether his last name is Edward or Edwards; therefore I am not sure of the apostrophe. I will get back to you in the morning. Love, Janice

stevemctn said...

Dear Janice,

I understood that you were uncertain of the apostrophe. However, Edwards's would never be appropriate. He would either have to be Edwards' or Edward's. I don't believe s's is proper usage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Steve

Clarissa said...

Nope, Steve, dead on. I was waiting with bated breath to see what you would say ... :)

Anonymous said...

Vonda, I am so proud of you for blogging and you did so well. I guess that was easier than trying to find a store. I am sure you are going into withdrawals without a TJMaxx near by. You can make up for lost time when you return and head straight to the boys department. I am sure that note about the knee socks and smocking was made on my account, since I am the one that mentioned it on New Years when you made your annoucement. I guess 4 is an acceptable age, but only at Easter. Can't wait to hear about your day. Love,Melanie

Anonymous said...

vonda, you may dress that precious boy anyway you want- it's not like you"ve been around the world to get him- and everything comes full circle - as the song goes" tough little boys grow up to be dad's and turn into big babies again" do I hear an amen steve?.that's probably why God gave me two girls so Greg wouldn't have a stroke. I want pictures of the Russian crown jewels you are sporting now-- as your week comes to a close remember how much we love you --I probably won't see you until the 1st day of school-- another big day in the Mcgill house--I have extra tissues in my classroom--May the Lord Bless you and Keep you today! Nan

Anonymous said...

Vonda,
I am proud of you for blogging. It has been just great keeping up with our Jack-news. I hope you have found a bottle by now. It must be frustrating; it would have been so easy to pack that from home. Mary Hearn and I talked about your sweet Jack last night at church. We are all so excited. Take care and don't try any more subway trips. Love, maria

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Great post, Vonda! Hey--no worries on those shoes. I've already got that pair anyway. Blessings and hurry home!
Love, Brandon

Anonymous said...

As the current teacher of the 4 year Sunday School class I must comment on the smocking and knee socks. DO NOT DO IT at 4! The boys dressed by their adoring Mothers in such clothes (at age 4) are very aware that they do not look like the other boys. They are usually very angry at their parents and very unhappy in class. By four it should be time for the GAP. (At least in Sunday School...I guess pictures at Tim's might fly as they will not be facing their peers.)
Glad all is going well. You are in my prayers. I can't wait to watch you turn him into a loud, plaid- wearing American boy. Ryan is available for lessons if Jack needs any pointers:).
Love, Carol