Thursday, July 29, 2004

Papers Signed - Another step closer to bringing Jack Home!!

Today we went to a Russian notary's office to sign the official papers requesting permission to adopt Jack Kolya McGill.  We had to choose his name, and you just read it.  The office was of course smoky and very small.  We signed these papers after our morning visit with Jack.  Vonda was able to get a bottle (I thought she might take off the translator's head if she wouldn't stop somewhere, but I don't think the girl felt she was in fear for her life.  She was however). Jack loved his bottle.  He had already eaten lunch when we got there so we played for an hour and a half before he wore himself out.  He laid in Vonda's arms and took his juice bottle so well.   Of course, since he can drink out of a water bottle, he was able to hold the bottle himself.  We're going to have to work with him on our meeting his needs rather than him having to meet them himself.  He has changed so much in 3 short days.  It's almost miraculous.  This child who we were so worried about on Monday is laughing, can now almost sit by himself, and got up on his knees to crawl today.  He could do none of these things ealier.  It's going to be amazing to watch him catch up as soon as we get home.  About getting him home....  We have heard anywhere from 2 - 8 weeks before we'll be back for  a court date.  4 weeks seems to be a recurring theme, but we're asking you to pray that God intervenes and we're invited back in 2 weeks.  Please pray for that and that God will keep Jack safe and developing while we're away from him.  He really is such a sweet boy.  I also have to take back an ealier blog where I noted that he was not "perfect".  Actually upon further reflection he is.  We will see him tomorrow for the last time before we have to leave.  Please pray for us.  This is going to be unbelievably hard to do, and I can't even put into words how I know we're going to feel.  I don't want to feel that pain yet so I'm deferring those thoughts. More about our Moscow adventures follows: Today we decided to make some notes during the day for our blogging.  Swaffords, if you're reading along (and not at a ballgame), I think this is called journaling.  Maybe we should reconsider that book Scott Owings wanted us to do... First of all, there is one of every car built in the world in the city of Moscow.  We've seen Navigators, Nissan Armadas, Camaros, Firebirds, and everything Europe and Japan have to offer.  We've seen them really close up since lanes in Moscow are merely a suggestion.  The air is very polluted and of course, our Volga has no A/C so at the end of the day we're filthy.  On our way to the baby home, Vonda persuaded the team to stop at a pharmacy.  Looks like we pulled over to the side of the interstate to stop to me, but whatever.  She said this one was more like our beloved Wal-green's with ability to pick your own items.  We're amazed at how much our days revolve around the three hours we have with Jack.  We read the blog comments in the morning, go to see Jack, and come back and blog about him.  We don't eat lunch and think about supper whenever we get to it.    Some things we've noticed:  Jack has some fairly strong eyebrows.  We think uncle Marty might have to help him later with the maintenance of these since Daddy has no experience.  Some things the baby house needs:  Clothes for birth to 4 years, Money to buy diapers, and musical toys, and long sleeved onesies.  If you feel inclined to donate something, we'd love to bring some things back on our second trip.  We did make it to the Children's world store today (with our beloved interpreter, I do mean that), and found that toys and clothes are more expensive here than at home.  Diapers should be bought in Russia, but other things should come from US if we can pack them. Today, we gave the children in Jack's groupa (this is not a typo, it's a groupa in Russian) the bears the ladies at OtterCreek had made.  They seemed to enjoy them, and we took some pictures.  One of Jack's caregivers is actually adopting a little boy from this baby house.  She asked if she could have one of the bears for him and then asked Vonda to write his name on it in English.  She wanted him to have something from the lady from America.  These women are good ladies.  They do the best they can in a situation that is not what babies need.  I've watched them hold, comfort and soothe these children, but there are at most 2 women for 14 babies who need basic needs met.  The basic needs get met before the emotional needs.  We don't know what our future holds, but we know that God has placed on our hearts a desire to do something to help this situation.  We can't change all the orphanages in Russia, but maybe we can do something to change this one small place who has cared for Jack.  We know that this is our last Russian adoption.  We can't do this process again, but we are not done with Russian orphanages, Lord willing. Sorry this post has been so long, just have a lot to say.  There's not any pics along with this post yet.  Check back later today.  I'm going to work on getting a link to a video of Jack up here.  Pray for my sanity as I attempt that. We love you all - Especially you Allie.  We will call you in a few minutes since you should be up by now unless Sue's locked herself out of the house again.  Just a few more days and we'll be home.  We're going to work on moving our flight from New York earler since you'll be at home.  We'll let you know when we find out. - Mommy and Daddy Steve PS. Vonda can't wait to tell Mary Hearn about the big woman who "stirs the pot" at the baby house but she won't be doing in blog form because she takes too long and that makes me want to blow my head off...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an adventure-I love his name. I've been praying all week about your last day w/him- I'll pray for two weeks time-frame now to go back. We all love him so much already and oh what a blessing he is. Remember He will not give you anything you can't handle.
Love,
David and Kristi

Anonymous said...

I love his name!!! I am glad you realized your error and have now admitted just how perfect he is. I really appreciate specific prayers requests, so my prayer for you now is for you to get the call in two weeks and bring him home sooner rather than later. I will also be praying for strength and peace of mind when you leave him tomorrow. God can and will provide this for you.

Teresa Kelly

stevemctn said...

Thanks Randi,

Glad you're at maam's. Are you going with swimming with Allie and the kids?

See you all soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello sister and Steve,
I am glad that you decided on Kolya for his middle name. I told Vonda on the phone Tuesday that I thought it was a cool name, and it is very unique. About those eyebrows, I too noticed them right off the bat, but did not want to say anything :) I don't know if Marty is the one to help with the maintenance, because I think we all know who the eyebrow girl is! But regardless, he is absolutely a beautiful child. I can not wait for him to meet his Aunt Kia. He has no idea how much love is waiting for him when he gets here.I guess we need to start planning his "gotcha day" party!
Vonda I enjoyed your comments on the Russian fashion (or lack there of), I would expect nothing less from you. Those shoes were hilarious, what color did Steve buy?! Maybe now you and I won't get so much flack for our footwear choices. Since I have been at ya'lls house I have kept Sue from locking herself out anymore, let's hope that streak continues. I am sure that you have read the comment from our beloved cousin Rach, somehow I knew she would have a response to that comment! Well, I must go with mother to Murfreesboro to take our car once again. We all love you, and are praying for you, and sweet baby Jack.
Love Kia

Anonymous said...

Steve, I think you may have to continue this blog thing when you get home--I am not sure what I will do next week not knowing about your day--I run upstairs to the computer everytime I enter my front door-is that an addiction? Seriously, I too will pray for your tommorrow..and the next day and how ever many it is until you return to Jack Kolya McGill, that sounds so dignified!!,and bring him home. As you leave a piece of your heart in Russia I hope you feel the prayers and love of your family and friends..I always have a mission project for my students every year. Sounds like I have mine for this year - we'll talk about what we can do when you return. Nan

Anonymous said...

We'll I will try again. The other one had Gramps telling Mam that she was crazy, she knew she saw something with my name on it in the middle of the night last night, but this morning she was unable to find anything I had sent.
I could never find it either, did you delete it?

I love his name also and I know it is going to be very hard for you leaving him, but with God's Blessings and the many Prayers going up for you, I know
you will survive, I'm not saying it will be easy, but you will make it thru.

Have a safe trip home.

Love and Prayers, Ree Ree

Anonymous said...

We will pray for two weeks...and for peace of mind, guys! Just think of it this way-what's a couple of weeks compared to what you'll have once we (I mean you, haha) get him here so we (I mean you) can spoil him!!
Praying for you daily.

Love,
Jason and Shannon

Anonymous said...

Steve and Vonda,
His name is perfect. I will pray that when you leave Jack that you give this burden and his care to God. Sometimes its all you can do; just leave our sweet children in His loving care. My heart breaks as you leave him but is overjoyed for the blessings to come. Love to you all. Maria

stevemctn said...

ReeRee,

I haven't deleted anything from you. I did see one comment from you on the very first post I made back in June. Somehow it must have been put there.

See you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve and Vonda! Its Kayla! I just wanted to say we are prayin for you! The baby is so cute!!
Love~ Kayla