Friday, October 01, 2004

TGIF

Today was our last full day in Moscow. We started this morning by leaving the hotel at 8:00. I made us a little late because I had to stop to use the restroom after breakfast. Curse those bowels. We ended up at the Passport office on the outskirts of the city. Took us 1 ½ hours to get there, which was behind schedule. I was blaming my bowels. At the passport office, they said we weren’t supposed to pick up the passport until 10:00. They finally let us have it about 9:45. We were supposed to then have all our paperwork including the passport to the American Embassy by 11:00. Remember that it took us 1 ½ hours from downtown to the Passport office. Well on our way to the Embassy, we asked Anastasia what would happen if we were late with out packet. She said they would most likely reschedule our appointment for Monday meaning we would have to stay the weekend. Well let me tell you that Moses and the Red Sea have nothing on the McGill’s and Moscow traffic. Traffic parted for us. Our driver Vlad was weaving and speeding like a madman. At one point, Vonda finally figured out the seatbelt in the minivan and strapped Allie in. We crossed ourselves and saw our lives flash before our eyes, all the while Jack was sleeping peacefully in the back seat. But we made it to the Embassy in 45 minutes,50% reduction in time. At the Embassy, Anastasia told us “God must really love you. I didn’t believe until the last moment that we would make it in time” After we dropped off our paperwork, we went to Red Square to get some pictures and then did some shopping at Arbat Street waiting for our 2:30 appointment with the Embassy. We enjoyed lunch at McDonald’s then headed for the Embassy. The appointment was very short and uneventful. There were about 30 adoptive families there. It was so nice to hear American accented language and to have official looking people actually smile at you. After a trip to the office to sign more paperwork, we finally got back to the hotel about 4:30. Jack’s had a bath, Allie’s had her Mac and Cheese and we’re ready to start packing. We got seats confirmed on our flight for the bulkhead row which means we should have a bassinet for Jack to sleep in. He was as good as gold in the car for the last two days so we’re hoping we haven’t pressed out luck too much. We’ll leave the hotel tomorrow at 11:00 for our 2:40 departure. We’ll have about a 5 hour layover in Dulles and then should be home in Nashville by 11:00. We can’t wait, and we know you’re excited too. We’ll forgive you for not being that excited to see us. Love, Steve, Vonda, Allie and Jack

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean, you'll forgive us for not being excited to see you? What have we all been waiting for?
To see you all as a family, here on AMERICAN soil! I'll call channel 2,4 and 5 to let them know of your arrival. I think there are a few Greyhound buses that will be there dropping off your families alone. We'll make our way through the crowds and see you there.
We love you all and are so excited about your new life together-we're excited about getting to share it w/you.
Love,
David,Kristi, Emmaline & Elliot

Anonymous said...

Praise God!!! That is all there is to say.

Love, Marilyn

Anonymous said...

I believe I have been living in a dream world and I am ready for this dream of mine to become a reality, so you can bet we will be there at the Nashville International Airport or maybe at the Dulles. There are not words to say as to how excicted I am, so therefore I just tear up thinking and I know you know what I mean. I also hate that you have the McGill bowel syndrome. I personally was late to school this morning for the same reason. I am glad that this is posted anonymously. Love to all of you.

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear that all went well. Even your system is functioning like normal. Janice can't go to Dulles and meet you all. OOps sorry about revealing anonymous. We loved the laughing video. It is so great to hear little ones laugh so loud over so little. Must let you know that we don't have to go to the blog to see a picture of Jack. His picture is our screensaver. Michael may not be able to spell but he does have some computer savvy.

By the way Papa, Sue and Kia are coming for dinner Sunday.

Love You All, Mam & Gramps

Anonymous said...

I have been sucked in to the latest reality series called steveandvonda.blog.com. My semi-computer literate coworker turned me on to this new saga of the journey that this Tennessee couple have been on to find their son half way around the world in Russia. I have to say that I am hooked. I believe that half of EHCS's campus is hooked as well. The excitement spreads from Mrs. Kuhn's Kindergarten class in the Elementary, down the Middle School hallway full of Charlton's, all the way out to the Administrative office. Why just yesterday I walked into the Middle School office to find prominently displayed on Mrs. Nevin's computer screen what appeared to be a Russian drag show. The same picture was "frozen" on your Aunt's computer screen in her classroom until I taught her Ctrl/Alt/Delete. I was just waiting for you to start your own catch phrase like the other reality shows have. You know the ones...."the tribe has spoken", "will you accept this rose?", "You're fired", or the infamous "Dude, you've just been Punked". Well I had to wait no further than this morning when I read "Curse those bowels" on your blog. I believe the plan is that everyone will be wearing a T-Shirt with that on it at the airport. I know that Mam is so proud that all of cyberspace knows what the McGills are really famous for. I hope you know how many people's lives you have touched by sharing your journey with them. God is good! I am so happy for you both. Jack is adorable ,and he is so blessed to have found a huge extended family that will love him so much. Have a safe journey home.
Alisa (the one married to the accountant, not the photographer)

Anonymous said...

You might know,I am not to observant. I just realized that Jack is the background on my computer screen and not the screensaver. One of those old men things, lapse of brainwaves for Big Daddy.

True Realization: Gramps

P.S.: I did not wreck your car.

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to see you all--we don't expect to get close enough to touch or speak with all your offical kin being there and all but we will definitely see you which will be enough for now.
Love ya, Greg, Nan, Kayla and Kristen.

Anonymous said...

michael yes gramps did reck your car
love you will be at airport to meet you
see you to morrow night michael

Anonymous said...

michael yes gramps did reck your car
love you will be at airport to meet you
see you to morrow night michael

Anonymous said...

michael yes gramps did reck your car
love you will be at airport to meet you
see you to morrow night michael

Anonymous said...

michael yes gramps did reck your car
love you will be at airport to meet you
see you to morrow night michael

Anonymous said...

Steve, Vonda, Allie and JACK ...
Papa and Sue can hardly wait to see "all of our children." The Lord had surely blessed Jack ... and Jack will be a blessing to all of us.

Allie, the video of you and Jack was funny and precious. We all enjoyed his cackles.

Steve and Vonda, we are so proud of you ... the Lord has surely blessed you and you are a blessing to so many people.
We can hardly wait to see you.

Love,
Papa and Sue

Anonymous said...

Clarification: the smartest Leebrick... Missi. Actually, Tony said that our computer was out, so I never tried. I hope you are impressed by my unlawful entry into your home just so I could keep in contact. I love you guys! I will see you at the airport. Love, Missi