Friday, September 17, 2004

Squeaky Wheels and Postal Workers

Well, we've got a date. Well we think we have a date. Well, we're going to Russia on September 25 whether we have a date or not. For the last week and a half, we have spoken to our agency on a daily basis. Each day they have said that we will know our court date the next day. Each day we have not known our court date. On Monday afternoon, I cut off my contact with them because I feared I could not remain civil with them. I put Vonda in charge of all communication. By Thursday, I could no longer remain on the sidelines. I spoke with our case manager as well as her supervisor. After they said we should know something on Friday for sure, I asked them to please not tell us that unless they really knew something. (I'm pretty sure they don't really like me anymore.) Well today, I called our contact and of course they had not heard anything. She said she would call me back after talking to the Moscow director. I had heard that line before and assumed I'd have to call her back later to hear that we still knew nothing. Well, for a change, she actually called me back. And she had Ludmilla, the Moscow director conferenced in. Ludmilla speaks very little English, so they also had a translator on line. I finally got an answer as to when Jack's paperwork was actually filed with the court. As I had feared, it wasn't filed until September 6 because the entire country of Russia takes a 1 month vacation during the month of August. But..., Ludmilla stated that she wanted us to go on and buy our tickets and come on Saturday, Sept 25. We do not technically have a court date, but she is 99.9% sure that we will get a court date during the week. We are going to trust that she had the connections to pull this off. I told her even if we didn't get to court until the next week, we would still love to come because we have got to see Jack again. (I think it was at this point that I almost cried). The moral of the story is that the squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease. I also think they could tell that they were closer and closer to pushing me over the postal edge and decided to actually do something about it. This next week we'll be busy packing (OK, Vonda will be busy, I'll traveling with work). Allie is very excited and looking forward to blogging from Russia for her class and friends at Ezell-Harding. We cannot wait to see him again. This had been the hardest 8 weeks in our lives. We've finally been able to watch Jack's video tonite. We haven't been able to watch for the last few weeks because we've missed him so much. Right now, our plans are to leave on Saturday the 25th and return on Saturday, October 2nd at 11:00 PM. We cannot wait for everyone to meet him. He's got so many family and friends that are loving and praying for him. You're going to love him.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Steve, I am sitting in my classroom, before the beginning of school crying. I hate being such a baby, but I guess that is ok, when I am thinking about a baby. You, Vonda, Allie, and Jack are in my prayers. I pray that all will go well. I just can't wait to get to know Jack. I am sure he is anxious to meet all of his family back here. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

We looked at pictures of Baby Jack today in class--we hope you have a safe and fun trip-we will miss Allie very much -we hope you come back soon-we will talk to you while you are in Russia-we can't wait to meet Baby Jack..Allie's Friends at EHCS.

Mary Alice said...

Dear Vonda and Steve - Wow...I have been sitting here reading your blog and crying. It's amazing what you guys are doing, and I will be praying for your trip and for Jack's safety while he waits for you. What a beautiful little boy he is. I know you can't wait to get him home! God bless you guys and I can't wait for our little Jacks to meet!

Anonymous said...

Steve Im sorry that I didnt make it to see u this morning before u left. It might been for the best because u know how emotional we are. Me like Janice just read your last blog and am crying not like a baby but like a sister who knows what this baby means to u and Vonda. Words cannot express how overwhelmed with emotion and thankfulness I feel that this day has finally came for the three of yall. U better believe that I will be up way past my bed time next Saturday night. I also promise not to go near your car. I will just stick to driving Vonda's this time or perhaps u would like Gramps to drive it! I am praying for yall to have a save and very rewarding trip. I love you three with all my heart.

P.S. Nan I believe that I blogged before u!